[U-Boot] T4QDS e6500 core and U-Boot 64-bit

Danny Gale Daniel.Gale at coloradoengineeringinc.com
Thu Jan 23 19:13:01 CET 2014

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your reply. My responses are inline below.

On 1/22/2014 2:06 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Danny Gale,
>
> In message <52DF18B3.1080904 at coloradoengineeringinc.com> you wrote:
>> The T4240 on the T4QDS board is a PPC e6500 core (64 bit), but it is
>> configured in U-Boot as an e500 core, which is 32 bit. Why is this?
> Becuase it simply works :-)
>
>> Can it be updated to e6500?
> Yes - if you add support for 64 bit configurations in general, and
> for powerpc64 in particular.
I don't even have a sense for what would be involved here. How
fundamentally would the U-Boot code need to change?
>> This leads directly into another question: can U-Boot be compiled and
>> run 64-bit? So far, I have been unable to make it work with a 64-bit
>> compiler. I'm running into these errors:
> Not out of the box.
>

> What is your actual reason for wanting to run a 64 bit boot loader?
My reason for wanting to run 64-bit is that this system has 12 GB of
RAM. Will 32-bit U-Boot be able to access and test more than 4 GB of RAM?

Thanks again,
Danny