[U-Boot] u-boot spl with fat32 on arm

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Thu Jan 30 08:35:03 CET 2014

On 01/29/2014 10:57 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 03:23:23PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I do play a little bit with u-boot spl and I am curious
>> about fat32 implementation. There is MAX_CLUSTSIZE which is 65k
>> and there are 3 buffers in fat.c code
>> do_fat_read_at_block
>> get_contents_vfatname_block
>> get_dentfromdir_block
>>
>> All these 3 are placed to bss section.
>> I have just 192k of memory for SPL that's why I tried 2 things
>> 1. Place these 3 fat arrays to different memory which is working fine
>> 2. Decrease MAX_CLUSTSIZE to any low value (I do use 8k).
>>
>> Unfortunately if I decrease MAX_CLUSTSIZE and add them to bss section
>> SPL doesn't work. If I add them to a different section in front of
>> or behind bss everything is just fine.
>>
>> That's why I have a question where can be the problem in this behaviour
>> that keeping 8k MAX_CLUSTSIZE in bss section doesn't work
>> and keeping 8k MAX_CLUSTSIZE out of bss section works.
>>
>> bss relocation is not done in SPL.
>
> To be clear, are you saying you cannot do this in your case?  We support
> CONFIG_SPL_BSS_START_ADDR / CONFIG_SPL_BSS_MAX_SIZE which is how on TI
> platforms for example we put BSS into DDR, as we've configured that
> before needing BSS.

I am not saying that I can't place BSS to the different location out of
my 192k OCM. Moving whole BSS to DDR is possible but I would rather
have it in OCM.
I was talking to Albert on IRC about this and I will debug it
to see what's wrong.

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854