[U-Boot] SD card building

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 13:58:13 CET 2014

Hello,

Is this actually documented somewhere for u-boot?

There is lots about writing to flash memories in the manual but MBR
coexistence does not seem to be covered.

u-boot is not written as a file but in a fixed location on the card
where the i.MX6 looks for a bootloader.

So you have on your SD card.

| MBR - 1sector | 1 free sector (you get here with bs=1k seek=1) |
u-boot | some space | start of first partition 0 your files here |

You should make your first partition start far enough that u-boot, its
environment (if any), etc can fit before it on the SD card.

On 31 January 2014 10:56, JYOTI DUBEY <jyoti0801 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to boot a fresh nitrogen6x board with uboot which I compiled
> recently.After a successful compilation I obtained u-boot.imx file which I
> wanted to bunn on my SD card for booting.
> I used "dd if=u-boot.imx of=/dev/sdb bs=1k seek=1" copy u-boot.imx file on
> the SD card which gave me the following output
> 327+0 records in
> 327+0 records out
> 334848 bytes (335 kB) copied, 0.00272321 s, 123 MB/s
>>>sync
> but actually nothing is getting Copied in the SD card.

It's written above. 335k were copied.

> Also there are no
> hidden file.

No file is created. The u-boot binary is written directly to the card.
The place for u-boot should be reserved when partitioning the card.

> What can be the solution for this.

It works as expected.

HTH

Michal