[U-Boot] Question about Patch submission

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 31 14:06:05 CET 2014

Dear Hannes,

In message <52EB892C.6090201 at petermaier.org> you wrote:

> I have allready read the patch submission rules on the u-boot website.
> But it is still not clear to me how i do the whole thing.

[1] gives pretty detailed instructions; it even icludes explicit
hints how to create and submit patches - search for example for "The
best way the generate patches ..."  If anything is not clean, then
please ask what exactly you do not understand.

> How should i take up the differences and how they are posted ?

See [1].

> Actually the idea in my head looks like this:
>
> a) fetch most current u-boot from
> http://git.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=summary
> b) using 'diff' for getting the patch:
>
> diff u-boot/include/i2c.h u-boot-current/include/i2c.h
> 70c70
> <     int        speed;
> ---
>  >     int        speed, waitdelay;

No, that would be totally useless.  If using diff, then at least make
sure to provide a context diff.  But as documented, you should rather
use "git format-patch".

> and so on ...
> pasting all the outputs into an email which passes to the rules given on
> the website.

Copying & pasting is a pretty rteliable way to cause white-space
garbled patches. This will not work.

> at the end give the signed-off-by statement.

No, this belongs to the commit message, and not at the end.

> Are iam right in this ?

No.  Please read [1].

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked  some-
thing.