[U-Boot] API available to standalone program

Scott Anderson saand2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 10:38:55 CEST 2014

Hi All,
I am interested to perform some of the functions available from
command line calls however called from a standalone application.
An example would be fatload mmc .....

I have read all the readme files and looked at the denx documentation
as well as mailing lists without finding any info on this other than a
bit of talk around function calls possibly making standalone code GPL.

I have come across the "include/exports.h" however the functionality
there is useful but limited

I have also come across the "include/api_public.h" which i noticed use
to be GPL or BSD but has now changed to just GPL

I have seen within the examples\api directory examples that make use
of API functions however i have not been able to replicate this
functionality in a standalone program.
Can anyone point me to an example or documentation that could help me.

Im also interested in if there was a concious decision to exclude
these function calls from standalone applications IE if i am and
always will need to write my own code for these functions.
I have been attempting to role my own MMC driver for more than 4 weeks
now on a processor that has very poor datasheet so i would be very
grateful if i was able to use the functionality available in command
line calls from within a standalone program.

Thanks in advance for any help
Regards,
Scott