[U-Boot] API available to standalone program

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 14 14:08:21 CEST 2014

Dear Scott Anderson,

In message <CAFrkK5u5cFhP=66MZ8Z8v_jfgaqap2tae4dk8GBOwPKxHgczyA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am interested to perform some of the functions available from
> command line calls however called from a standalone application.
> An example would be fatload mmc .....

Why would you want to do that?  Why not just compile your code as part
of U-Boot?

> Im also interested in if there was a concious decision to exclude
> these function calls from standalone applications IE if i am and
> always will need to write my own code for these functions.

Yes, this is an intentional decision.  Standalone applications allow
you to run any proprietary code you may have, with sufficient glue to
allow for an easy start.  So for example if you have your own home
brew OS or a simple task scheduler or such, you can run it, and even
keep it closed source.  The price for keeping your code proprietary is
a lean, somewhat restrictive interface.

When you want to actually benefit from all estimated 345 years of
effort that went into the development of U-Boot (according to [1]),
say by using the device drivers, file system code or scripting
capabilitiers that come with U-Boot, then you can do so in the context
of the GPL license which covers all that code.

Trying to get all the benefits for free, and not contributing anything
bac, is something that in my point of view is unethical, which is why
we do not support it.

[1] http://www.ohloh.net/p/u-boot

> I have been attempting to role my own MMC driver for more than 4 weeks
> now on a processor that has very poor datasheet so i would be very
> grateful if i was able to use the functionality available in command
> line calls from within a standalone program.

You see, this is exactly what I mean: using things like the file
system or driver code in a non-GPL standalone application is exactly
the type of usage we want to prevent.

If you want to benefit from all the work that the community is
offeriung for free, then you are welcome to use it, but please do so
in the context of the GPL license so that you not only take from the
community, but also give back - no matter how small or big such
contribution might be.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a  member  of
Congress. But I repeat myself.                           - Mark Twain