[U-Boot] Xilinx Zed Board resets with Master

Tim Sander tim at krieglstein.org
Thu Mar 27 11:33:44 CET 2014

Hi Michael, Jagan

Thanks for your replies.
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Michal Simek <monstr at monstr.eu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 03/27/2014 09:08 AM, Tim Sander wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> As i have seen that the Xilinx support has entered master i just tried to
> >> boot it on a Xilinx Zynx Zedboard Rev. D. The build works with the
> >> xilinx git tree so i am pretty confident that its not some issues with
> >> bootgen or the embedded fpga image.
> >>
> >> The board loads the fpga which can be seen by the blue "done" led of the
> >> ZedBoard. But then the LED turns off and about after a second or so it
> >> just
> >> lights up shortly again to turn off again. So it seems as if the board is
> >> somehow caught in a reboot loop. Any ideas what might be wrong?
> >>
> >> I am building with:
> >> export PATH=~/xilinx/SDK/2013.3/gnu/arm/lin/bin:$PATH
> >> export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi-
> >> make clean
> >> make distclean
> >> make zynq_zed_config
> >> make
> >>
> >> The BOOT.BIN is build
> >> xilinx/SDK/2013.3/bin/lin64/bootgen -image u-boot.bif -w on -o BOOT.BIN
> >>
> >> And u-boot.bif looks like that:
> >> the_ROM_image:
> >> {
> >>
> >>  [bootloader]zynq_fsbl_0.elf
> >>
> >> system.bit
> >> u-boot.elf
I have added the zynq-zed.dtb file here, as i was not sure where else to put
it...
> >> }
> >
> > mainline u-boot support is using configuration based on dts files
> > (OF_CONTROL) And because our DTSes are almost empty in mainline I expect
> > you are not able to see anything from u-boot.
> > I recommend you to copy dts file from xilinx kernel and then use
> > u-boot-dtb version.
Ok i tried this, and now the reboot loops seems to be gone. The blue "done"
led now only switches "on" one time and stays on. Unfortunatly i still don't
see anything on the console in this case.
I can see that the registers
lr             0x1d70   0x1d70
pc             0xcf6c   0xcf6c
But according to the u-boot map there is nothing and i am not sure how to
get information about the relocation without u-boot command line.

> > Or the second option is to remove OF_CONTROL from
> > zynq-common.h file and then I hope you should be able to see something on
> > console.
Removeing OF_CONTROL gives a compile error:
xilinx/zynq/u-boot-xlnx/arch/arm/lib/board.c:633: undefined reference to
`checkboard'
lib/built-in.o: In function `rsa_verify_with_keynode':
xilinx/zynq/u-boot-xlnx/lib/rsa/rsa-verify.c:284: undefined reference to
`fdtdec_get_int'

> If you use ML, as Michal said - u-boot operates through FDT support.
> But I guess even if you use u-boot.elf with FDT enabled, you must get
> the below error
> ** CONFIG_OF_CONTROL defined but no FDT - please see doc/README.fdt-control"
Mh, i now appended the fdt in the bif file. Is this the right approach?

> Means even uart node is not written in zynq-zed.dts serial
> configurations are static driver it self
> as of now.
Does this mean that the serial drivers are statically defined and do not take
the device tree file into account?

> Please check and may be you can try u-boot-dtb.elf.
Mh,  don't know how to create this kind of file?

Best regards
Tim