[U-Boot] xil_printf in ps7_init.c for u-boot-spl (zynq)

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Tue May 6 16:28:48 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 05/03/2014 11:01 AM, Heshsham Abdul Basit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To build u-boot-spl I had to put ps7_init.c and ps7_init.h in
> /board/xilinx/zynq.
> Then when I compile I get boot.bin in the TOPDIR.
>
> The functions defined in ps7_init.* are called in spl.c.
>
> For debug purpose I wanted put some xil-printf statements in my
> ps7_init files. But it does not work, says ;
>
> undefined reference to xil_printf
>
> I included xil-printf.h in the ps7_init.c file, now it is unable to
> locate this file.
> I can find this file somewhere else and copy paset here, but I think
> then it would complain about other missing files and parameters.
>
> So how do I use printf statements in ps7_init.c file  correctly.
> such as this:
>
> // Get the PS_VERSION on run time
>   unsigned long si_ver = ps7GetSiliconVersion ();
> xil_printf ("\n ps7 Silicon Version : %d.0", si_ver);
>

> If xil_printf is not valid here, then is there any other method to
> display messages such as  prointing si_ver wrt above snippet?

You should use just printf or puts which are standard u-boot method
how to print something on console.
I have never debug that but you have to ensure that you can use console
at that time.
I would say that MIO setting for console has to be done.
Or you have second option which I haven't tried which is to use DCC port
where I believe you don't need to setup any MIO pin.

Thanks,
Michal

---
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854
Maintainer of Linux kernel - Microblaze cpu - http://www.monstr.eu/fdt/
Maintainer of Linux kernel - Xilinx Zynq ARM architecture
Microblaze U-BOOT custodian and responsible for u-boot arm zynq platform