[U-Boot] [RFC] Kconfig: MAINTAINERS file or not?

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue May 6 20:38:35 CEST 2014

On 05/06/2014 12:33 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> An issue with a single top-level MAINTAINERS file is that we'll get
> conflicts galore.  What a MAINTAINERS file would give us is
> get_maintainers.pl from the kernel which can be helpful.

The conflicts we'll get are likely to be quite trivial to resolve though.

All changes to a particular entry should go through the subsystem tree
that the entry applies to (e.g. only the USB tree should change a
top-level USB entry, only an architecture or SoC tree should change an
entry for drivers for that architecture/SoC, etc.)

As such, it's pretty unlikely there will be many conflicts at all except
a few trivial context changes, or some add/add, add/delete conflicts of
adjacent blocks. I haven't see Linus complaining about issues merging
MAINTAINERS at all, and he'd complain if it was a problem.

Or, you could just say "all MAINTAINERS changes go through u-boot.git
directly". Then, there will be zero conflicts.