[U-Boot] Signed-off-by rules for U-Boot

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue May 13 20:14:41 CEST 2014

Hi Stephen,

On 13/05/2014 20:03, Stephen Warren wrote:
> Does U-Boot follow the same Signed-off-by procedures as the Linux
> kernel, or is s-o-b only relevant in U-Boot for the initial patch
> submitter, and not maintainers?

Yes, we discussed this in a previous thread, here Wolfgang's answer:

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-October/137248.html

> I ask because there are a bunch of patches of mine that got applied
> without the maintainer adding their S-o-b when applying them, which
> would be very unusual for Linux, but perhaps it's normal for U-Boot?

It should be normal for U-Boot. I never add my s-o-b to patches that I
only merge. Only if I change something I add my s-o-b. If this is not
the right rule, I am doing wrong since a lot of time ;-).

> Some likely non-exhaustive examples are:
>
> 2813006fecda usb: ci_udc: allow multiple buffer allocs per ep
> 66b88b07cdab usb: ums: add error handling for failed registration
> 264e0e591bbd config: enable CMD_BMP when API+LCD is enabled
> 53eb768dfb97 aes: make apply_cbc_chain_data non-static
>
> Yet others did get a maintainer s-o-b:
>
> d381294aef4a ARM: tegra: pack pinmux data tables tighter
> def816a2ba87 mmc: set rca to 1 for MMC cards
> 91171091c673 ARM: tegra: make use of negative ENV_OFFSET on NVIDIA...
> 6ab6a650a418 disk: initialize name/part fields when returning a whole...
> c75942c7b792 sf: winbond: fix page_size
>
> It seems like it mostly varies by maintainer.

Agree we should be consistent. I am not aware that the original rule was
changed, even if the behavior is different as the Linux kernel.

Regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de