[U-Boot] Unable to boot the new FIT image

KJ H. Kiran kj.h.kiran at us.abb.com
Tue May 20 05:39:23 CEST 2014

Hi Simon and Jagan,

Thanks for the help. I tried your suggestions but still I could not able to boot up my device.
Here is what I tried:
1) Applied the patch from Simon's email (.....http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/339609/)
2) Compiled the u-boot with my public key signed device tree of U-boot
harsha at harshakiran_kasha:/abb/Experiments/u-boot$ sudo make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/abb/compilers/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-2013.04-20130415_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j8 DEV_TREE_DTB=./am335x-evmsk-pubkey.dtb

Please find attached log in the txt file attached. I got the MLO, u-boot.img, u-boot.bin, u-boot-dtb.bin binaries.

3) Copied the MLO, u-boot.bin and u-boot-dtb.bin and the FIT image into the SD card. This was the response:

U-Boot SPL 2014.07-rc1 (May 19 2014 - 13:17:49)
reading u-boot.img
spl_load_image_fat: error reading image u-boot.img, err - -1
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

4) Second time , I copied MLO, u-boot.img, u-boot-dtb.bin and FIT image. This was the response:
U-Boot SPL 2014.07-rc1 (May 19 2014 - 13:17:49)
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img
No valid FDT found - please append one to U-Boot binary, use u-boot-dtb.bin or define CONFIG_OF_EMBED. For sandbox, use -d <file
.dtb>
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

5) Since I added the CONFIG's to support the FIT, I was thinking even the u-boot.img expects a fdt binary. That’s the reason even the u-boot.img didn’t work.!

6) I commented out the CONFIGs from the am335x_evm.h file and compiled again. This time I loaded the MLO , u-boot.img, u-boot.dtb.bin and FIT just to check and follow jagan's suggestions..

I was able to successfully load MLO and U-boot and came to the u-boot# prompt.
U-Boot# fatload mmc 0 ${TEXTBASE} u-boot-dtb.bin
reading zImage
** Unable to read file zImage **
U-Boot# fatload mmc0
** No device specified **
U-Boot# fatload mmc0 u-boot-dtb.bin
** Bad device specification mmc0 u-boot-dtb.bin **
U-Boot# fatload mmc 0 ${TEXTBASE} u-boot-fdt.bin
reading zImage
** Unable to read file zImage **
U-Boot#
U-Boot#
U-Boot#

Please let me know if I am still missing anything.

Thanks,
Harsha kiran