[U-Boot] Building under Cygwin - "-ansi" flag?

Vasili Galka vvv444 at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:50:52 CEST 2014

Hi Jeroen,

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Jeroen Hofstee <dasuboot at myspectrum.nl> wrote:
> Dear Vasili,
>
> On ma, 2014-05-19 at 12:45 +0300, Vasili Galka wrote:
> [...]
>
>> 2. I see a reoccurring pattern of some headers being used from the host,
>>    causing mismatches and arising build errors. Then some way is sought
>>    to include headers from U-Boot tree prior to them which solves the
>>    problem. This happens for both Linux and Cygwin.
>
> you can add FreeBSD to the list as well, see [1]

Thanks! This supports my point that we have a reoccurring problem here that
requires a more general solution.

>>    This pattern is a
>>    result of the original decision from 2004 to prioritize the host
>>    include paths over the paths from U-Boot tree.
>
> any reference?

This decision is a part of the above mentioned commit: e1a3f6b (July 2004)
I don't know how much the original committer was aware of its long
term implications.

>> I see this happening
>>    again and again with different headers in the future. So here comes
>>    the question, is it really the right thing prioritize the include
>>    paths this way? Why do host paths MUST come first?
>>    I'll try reverting this locally and looking what breaks and what
>>    alternative solutions exist.
>
> I have no idea why it is the way it is, but keep in mind that e.g. stdio
> headers in u-boot is quite something different then stdio for the target
> userland.

Sure. I'll keep it in mind while I'm designing a solution here. I'm
afraid there is
no easy way to fix it though.

> Regards,
> Jeroen