[U-Boot] armv8 relocation questions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 23 08:51:37 CEST 2014

Dear David,

In message <0579E649-F359-415B-A8ED-E1D4267F8A24 at phytium.com.cn> you wrote:

> > And if any text base alignment is less than the image's maximum
> > alignment requirement, the load will fail, and then we likely scratch
> > our heads and set the CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE alignment higher until it
> > works.
>
> Whatever CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE is the alignment will be ok if the
> relocated address satisfy the align requirement. So CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE
> could be any value(compiler maybe require the text base aligned with
> 0x20),  just make relocated address has the same offset.

There is a point which has not been answered yet, wnd which I really
would like to understand.  maybe you could be so kind and try to
explain it to me?

I wonder if the use of the "ardp" instruction by the compiler can be
influenced or maybe even prevent for specific code parts, for example
by specific compiler options?  For example, there is a number of
PIC/PIE-related compiler options - would these have any influence
here?

I wonder how "adrp" would work in any code that is supposed to be
position-independent?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If the hours are long enough and the pay  is  short  enough,  someone
will say it's women's work.