[U-Boot] idirafter causes host sha256.h to be included

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Tue May 27 05:37:23 CEST 2014

Hi Jeroen,

On 24 May 2014 11:09, Jeroen Hofstee <dasuboot at myspectrum.nl> wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> On vr, 2014-05-23 at 15:37 -1000, Simon Glass wrote:
>
>> On 9 May 2014 12:31, Jeroen Hofstee <dasuboot at myspectrum.nl> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > tools/Makefile uses the following substitution
>> >
>> > HOST_EXTRACFLAGS += -include $(srctree)/include/libfdt_env.h \
>> >                 $(patsubst -I%,-idirafter%, $(UBOOTINCLUDE)) \
>> >
>> > Which adds -idirafterinclude when compiling image-fit.c. Since
>> > mentioned file includes sha256.h, which is a system include on FreeBSD,
>> > the system version is included instead of the intended U-boot
>> > include/sha256.h and building fails. Without the substitution it builds
>> > successfully.
>> >
>> > What is the intention of using idirafter?
>>
>> I believe this is so that U-Boot headers are available when building.
>> You might need to add a work-around like we have for libfdt_env.h. It
>> is also possible that there is a more general solution, sorry I'm not
>> sure what it might be.
>>

> Thanks for mentioning the libfdt_env.h. As mentioned in the thread
> discussing the patch errno.h is one of the reasons to require the
> dirafter, since the tools need the host version of it. A possible
> solution could perhaps be to place such standard headers in a separate
> directory and only include it for an u-boot build. The tools can then be
> compiled without the idirafter and not including this location as an
> include path.

I did originally write a patch which might have solved this problem -
it force the build to use U-Boot headers except for a few special
cases. You might be able to find it in patchwork (archived?) But I
think Masahiro came up with what I thought was a better way - more
general purpose than my patch. You have I think the opposite problem
to what I was facing. I'm not sure of the best general approach now. I
suggest you experiment and see if you can come up with a suitable
patch.

Regards,
Simon