[U-Boot] Statically allocate a range of physical memory to an OS image.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 27 14:37:04 CEST 2014

Dear "mazen.e",

In message <1401191218533-180832.post at n7.nabble.com> you wrote:

> On the other hand,  according to my basic understanding (Please correct me
> if I am wrong), U-boot can pass through the bootargs env variable
> information about available memory in the platform. For instance,  bootargs
> mem=512M at 0xA0000000 .. instructs the kernel that the available memory is 512
> MB starting @ 0xA0000000, in such case the rest of the platform memory is
> not even visible to the kernel and its MMU. Is this conclusion true?

Actually, today we use the device tree to pass this information.

And it is not correct that any memory outside the specification of
"mem=" is not _visible_ to the kernel.  Please understand that it is
really up to the kernel (or whatever program you boot) to set up hiw
own memory map.  In case of the Linux, it is the Linux kernel itself
which implements the "mem=" ABI - and if you use it, it choses to
_ignore_ any other possibly existing memory regions.  But this is
totally voluntary, and done only in Linux.  There is nothing that
U-Boot does here, so the term "not visible" is only true in the sense
"because the kernel decides to close both eyes and never will even
attempt to look in that direction".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"In matters of principle, stand like a rock;  in  matters  of  taste,
swim with the current."                            - Thomas Jefferson