[U-Boot] Mainline u-boot SPL for socfpga

Pavel Machek pavel at denx.de
Tue May 27 14:40:32 CEST 2014

Hi!

(Sorry for the delay)

> > > I know u-boot SPL misses critical parts, but I was told that u-boot
> > > proper should have everything. Only... I was not able to get it to
> > > work. [I'm attempting to load recent u-boot from patched/old u-boot; I
> > > know this is not exactly recommended, but due to spl/proper split, it
> > > should work AFAIK... and does for old versions.]
> >
> > I have not tried booting u-boot proper from mainline. It just seemed pointless
> > to me to be working from 2 source trees to make a single product.
> >
> > I will give it a go though.
>

> Actually the U-Boot is working. You just need to #undef
> CONFIG_SOCFPGA_VIRTUAL_TARGET and build it. I loaded it using a working
> Preloader and I can reach the U-Boot console.

Aha, you are right, I forgot about VIRTUAL_TARGET define.

> U-Boot 2014.07-rc1-00079-g2072e72-dirty (May 16 2014 - 15:54:55)
>
> CPU   : Altera SOCFPGA Platform
> BOARD : Altera SOCFPGA Cyclone5 Board
> DRAM:  1 GiB
> WARNING: Caches not enabled
> Using default environment
>
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Net:   No ethernet found.

Do you have any hints how to get ethernet to work?

Plus, for me it says:

tertiary u-boot 13.760972 Warning: Your board does not use generic
board. Please read
tertiary u-boot 13.770775 doc/README.generic-board and take
action. Boards not
tertiary u-boot 13.779813 upgraded by the late 2014 may break or be
removed.

> > As Chin Liang See has said, there are two issues thwarting this: legal AND
> > source conformance. The code we can fix, the legal can only be fixed by
> > bending Altera - I am going to do that too.
>

> We are making some progress on this. Once we have final green light, we
> will start the upstreaming of SDRAM code. :)

Looking forward :-).

Thanks,
									Pavel