[U-Boot] Inconsistency between $filesize and commands which accept numeric params

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 4 23:11:40 CET 2014

Dear Tom,

In message <20141104220213.GN15133 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> > Hm.... is there a way to determine in advance where we are passing a
> > number as argument [see "common/cmd_fdt.c" lines 260ff] ?
>
> The problem is that 'fdt set ... <decimal>' is valid and 'fdt set ...
> <0xhex>' is valid (as it 'fdt set ... string'). What I'm saying is that
> we should think of it as 'fdt set <input to DT>' and within <input to
> DT> we assume DT conventions, not U-Boot conventions.

Yes, I fully understand what you mean.  I just wonder if there is a
user-friendly way to prevent such errors.

I think we should at least document this behaviour - both in the help
message for this command, and in the manual.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A good aphorism is too hard for the tooth of time, and  is  not  worn
away  by  all  the  centuries,  although  it serves as food for every
epoch.                                  - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
                          _Miscellaneous Maxims and Opinions_ no. 168