[U-Boot] Can i pass pass an environmental variable or argument from command line to build u-boot?

Masahiro YAMADA yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Thu Nov 6 18:22:11 CET 2014

Hi harsha,

> Thanks Rini,
>
> We have freeze the code base of bootloader for 2014-07 main line.
>
> What can be another alternate approach? i was looking at the make file and i
> see that they take everything before _config and is sorted to find all the
> right pieces from boards.cfg file
>
> %_config:: outputmakefile
>         @$(MKCONFIG) -A $(@:_config=)
>
> i was thinking to add something which can parse the Partnumber after the
> _config..i am not sure if its a good approach..

Why don't you save your favorite version string into a file "localversion"?
This feature is available in v2014.07.

masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot$ git describe
v2014.07
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot$ echo "PN#1234567" > localversion &&
 make sandbox_config all
Configuring for sandbox board...
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk
  CHK     include/config/uboot.release
  UPD     include/config/uboot.release
  CHK     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  CHK     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  CC      lib/asm-offsets.s
  GEN     include/generated/generic-asm-offsets.h
    [ snip ]
  CC      test/dm/ut.o
  CC      test/dm/core.o
  CC      test/dm/gpio.o
  LD      test/dm/built-in.o
  LD      u-boot
  OBJCOPY u-boot.srec
  OBJCOPY u-boot.bin
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot$ ./u-boot

U-Boot 2014.07PN#1234567 (Nov 07 2014 - 02:19:30)

DRAM:  128 MiB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   lcd