[U-Boot] socfpga: mainline cannot boot linux

Anatolij Gustschin agust at denx.de
Fri Nov 7 00:40:43 CET 2014

Hi Dinh,

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 17:03:48 -0600
Dinh Nguyen <dinguyen at opensource.altera.com> wrote:

> Hi Marek,
>
> Have you been able to successfully boot Linux using the mainline uboot?
> I cannot seem to be able to boot linux on the C5 SocDK.
>
> It starts to boot linux, but then reboots after a bit back into u-boot.
> So I commented out #define CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG in
> include/configs/socfpga_cyclone5.h. That helped so that I can look that
> __log_buf.
> I was able to trace it down that it was not able to get a tty console,
> because serial8250_console_setup() is failing at:
>
> if (!port->iobase && !port->membase)
>
> For reasons I haven't figured out yet, both port->iobase and
> port->membase are NULL.
>
> So no debug console, but Linux is able to boot all the way to the point
> of tyring to mount a FS.
>
> Perhaps some kind of memory setup issue? I've seen a thread where
> Chin-Liang was able to boot, but I don't know if he did any other tricks.
>
> Just wondering if I'm missing a patch or something?

the issue could be the wrong console= argument on the kernel command
line. In the current socfpga_config5.h I see

  #define CONFIG_BOOTARGS         "console=ttyS0" __stringify(CONFIG_BAUDRATE)

A comma is missing after "console=ttyS0"

It should be

  #define CONFIG_BOOTARGS         "console=ttyS0," __stringify(CONFIG_BAUDRATE)

Could you please test it? Thanks.

Best regards,

Anatolij