[U-Boot] can i pass an bootarg/environment variable from the command line while building u-boot?

harsha kiran kj.h.kiran at us.abb.com
Mon Nov 10 23:35:19 CET 2014

Hi!

Is there a way i can set my bootarg variable form the command line while
building u-boot?

We have implemented a two-stage u-boot process for our products. The main
idea is that we should be able to see which u-boot version (a software
partnumber) we are running from the kernel /proc/cmdline. We have defined
our bootargs in uEnv.txt and import it. I am planning to add a PartNumber
bootarg in the uEnv.txt or in the config file and update it from the
commandline when building it..

Ex: make PartNumber:12345678-001

This partNumber should be saved as a bootarg and pass to the kernel.

I have tried the local version file method but i dont want to do grep on the
u-boot.img from the kernel because i am not sure which of 2 u-boot images
are actually running..

Thanks,
Harsha