[U-Boot] Memory test post relocation

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Fri Nov 14 18:51:23 CET 2014

Hello DaveKucharczyk,

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 08:54:20 -0700 (MST), DaveKucharczyk
<david.kucharczyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Albert ARIBAUD (U-Boot) wrote
> > No, that's not where it'll be; it'll relocate as high as it can.
>
> I guess that's the confusing part. When I run with debug on I get the
> following log. Halfway down it reports "Now running in RAM - U-Boot at:
> eff89000", but there are still initcall's to lower memory after that. So I'm
> thinking lower memory is still used at that point. Am I wrong?
>
> I did try a mem test starting at the lowest address and it worked, but I
> would like to understand why the initcall's to low-mem after relocation.
> The mem test essentially erases those addresses, so initcall's to those
> addresses are suspect at that point.

You're correct that they'd be suspect; but the calls are to high
addresses, only the debug printf() prints their address... minus the
reloc offset (why it does that is beyond me). So false alarm here.

So, no, you don't use lower mem once relocated. But you do use some
memory below the stack top, and you dont exactly know how much.

> Albert ARIBAUD (U-Boot) wrote
> > If you happen to have an SPL running from some RAM and not from DDR,
> > then you could perform the full DDR test there. .
>
> I think the mx53 has internal sram, which is why we were able to run fully
> from there before, since we had set CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT. I tried
> setting CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT, but nothing works with that set.

Still not sure what your config is. Can you indicate the board, commit
and toolchain you're using?

Amicalement,
--
Albert.