[U-Boot] Memory test post relocation

DaveKucharczyk david.kucharczyk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 21:20:09 CET 2014

Old u-boot was u-boot-2009.08.

I guess the main source of frustration the last 3 weeks could be attributed
to my lack of experience with u-boot and the fact that we were working with
an old Freescale version of u-boot. Not to mention 5 years worth of changes
between the versions.  Most of the init functions seem to have moved in the
boot sequence between u-boot-2009.08 and u-boot-2014.07. For instance,
board_init was one of the first functions called before relocation to RAM,
but now it called after relocation.

I have our board almost fully working with mainline u-boot-2014.07, but now
I'm just trying to understand a few how's and why's before continuing.

In u-boot-2009.08 we set CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT. When I run with DEBUG
on I confirm that no relocation messages are reported, but this is due to
the fact that u-boot-2009.08 did not have debug messages pertaining to
relocation (that I can tell). I'm not sure how to confirm that relocation
didn't actually happen and where it actually runs from on the mx53, but I
can confirm that memory tests ran all the way to the end of RAM without
issue. We did run the test from within dram_init though, which would be
before relocation. Too bad that doesn't work in u-boot-2014.07.