[U-Boot] USB Host not enumerating properly on AM335x-based board

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Thu Nov 20 17:49:17 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm currently working on 2014.07, on a custom TI AM335x based board.

Everything works great so far, except when we're trying to have USB
host working.

The board has the MUSB1 controller wired as USB Host only, with the
following configuration:

#define CONFIG_USB_MUSB_DSPS
#define CONFIG_ARCH_MISC_INIT
#define CONFIG_MUSB_PIO_ONLY
#define CONFIG_MUSB_DISABLE_BULK_COMBINE_SPLIT
#define CONFIG_MUSB_HOST
#define CONFIG_MUSB_DSPS
#define CONFIG_AM335X_USB1
#define CONFIG_AM335X_USB1_MODE MUSB_HOST

#ifdef CONFIG_MUSB_HOST
#define CONFIG_CMD_USB
#define CONFIG_USB_STORAGE
#define CONFIG_USB_HOST_ETHER
#define CONFIG_USB_ETHER_ASIX
#endif

Whenever we try to scan the USB controller and that a device is
attached, we get the following output:

U-Boot# usb start
(Re)start USB...
USB0:   scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
       scanning usb for ethernet devices... 0 Ethernet Device(s) found

The device itself being a USB key, it's somewhat odd that it
enumerates the device, but doesn't find the storage device...

The same USB port with the same device works fine under Linux.

The VBUS pin is still up after running the command, so it's not really
a matter of power being shut down on the bus.

I'm kind of running out of idea on what to test next. The differences
between u-boot's musb-new and Linux' own musb driver seems thin and to
make sense, so I don't think the driver itself is to blame.

Anyone experienced such a thing?

Thanks,
Maxime

--