[U-Boot] help on using buildman

Masahiro Yamada yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Fri Nov 21 07:00:00 CET 2014

Hi York,

I have not been able to reproduce this issue on my box,
but the cause surely resides on Kbuild itself.
It is not related to buildman at all.

> /local/jenkins/jobs/york-scm-test-upstream-before-requesting-pull/workspace/scripts/kconfig/menu.c:
> In function 組et_symbol_str・
> /local/jenkins/jobs/york-scm-test-upstream-before-requesting-pull/workspace/scripts/kconfig/menu.c:551:
> warning: 阻ump・may be used uninitialized in this function
>   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
>   GEN     ./Makefile
> scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
>   CHK     include/config.h
>   UPD     include/config.h
>   GEN     include/autoconf.mk
>   GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep
>   CHK     include/config/uboot.release
>   GEN     ./Makefile
>   CHK     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> `/local/jenkins/jobs/york-scm-test-upstream-before-requesting-pull/workspace/arch//cpu/u-boot.lds',
> needed by `u-boot.lds'.  Stop.

According to this fail log,  "ARCH" has not been defined yet when LDSCRIPT is evaluated.

# If there is no specified link script, we look in a number of places for it
ifndef LDSCRIPT
	ifeq ($(wildcard $(LDSCRIPT)),)
		LDSCRIPT := $(srctree)/board/$(BOARDDIR)/u-boot.lds
	endif
	ifeq ($(wildcard $(LDSCRIPT)),)
		LDSCRIPT := $(srctree)/$(CPUDIR)/u-boot.lds
	endif
	ifeq ($(wildcard $(LDSCRIPT)),)
		LDSCRIPT := $(srctree)/arch/$(ARCH)/cpu/u-boot.lds
	endif
endif

I am not sure the real cause but it looks like the following code does not
work on *some* situation.

autoconf_is_current := $(if $(wildcard $(KCONFIG_CONFIG)),$(shell find . \
		-path ./include/config/auto.conf -newer $(KCONFIG_CONFIG)))
ifneq ($(autoconf_is_current),)
include $(srctree)/config.mk
endif

Now I have realized that it is the problem I am responsible to fix,
but it might not be easy enough to change LDSCRIPT stuff.

So, my question is, how much time can you give me to fix it?
Can you bare with it one month or so?

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada