[U-Boot] u-boot build issue

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Nov 23 00:04:46 CET 2014

Dear Lalitkumar Choudhary,

In message <BFD690A35E15C044967F875DD3A1A3721CD4C742 at POCITMSEXMB04.LntUniverse.com> you wrote:

> As you have suggested to use eldk3.1 tool chain to compile
> u-boot(1.1.2). We have installed eldk3.1 tool chain.
>
> However during installation we have given i686 as a command line

I wonder why you did that.  The documentation does not mention
anything like that.  Please make sure _NOT_ to use any ELDK v5.x
related documentation; ELDK v5.x is totally different fromolder
versions of the ELDK like the v3.1.1 you are using here.

> argument to install script in that case it was throwing the message
> “All the targets must be ppc architecture”. To proceed further we
> have removed the command line argument related to host and run the
> install script. Installation has started after that. During
> installation we have observed an error message "failed to stat .gvfs
> file" .

This message can safely be ifnored.

> Though toolchain get installed. But while compiling the code it gives
> below error:
>
> (ppc-linux-gcc: cannot execute binary file)
>
> /opt/eldk_new_image_21Nov/ppc_6xx/usr/bin//ppc-linux-gcc: /opt/eldk_new_image_21Nov/ppc_6xx/usr/bin//ppc-linux-gcc: cannot execute binary file

Please read the documentation; the DULG (see for example [1]) shows
you how to use the ELDK.  The files in the /opt/eldk/ppc_6xx directory
make up the root file system for the PowerPOC target; thi sis NOT the
cross tool chain.

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKUsage

> It seems installed toolchain ppc-6xx, can compile the file only on
> ppc architecture. But we want to compile the source on above
> mentioned architecure(i686). Please suggest how we can proceed
> further or where we went wrong.

You are just using he wrong files.  Please make sure to set your PATH
an the other environment variables as documented.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                                                      -- Isaac Asimov