[U-Boot] UBI issues on SAMA5D31 NOR flash

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Thu Oct 2 10:16:50 CEST 2014

Hello Heiko,

> > UBI error: vtbl_check: reserved_pebs 81, ubi->good_peb_count 80
> > UBI error: vtbl_check: too large reserved_pebs, good PEBs 80
> >
> > Use of UBI is new to me so where are the PEBs configured?
>
> Good question ... looking into vtbl_check(), the "reserved_pebs" value
> is read from the record in the volume table:
>
>                  reserved_pebs = be32_to_cpu(vtbl[i].reserved_pebs);
>
> "@reserved_pebs: how many physical eraseblocks are reserved for this
> volume"

I have changed the size of the partition as defined in U-Boot and also
reduced the maximum image size when creating the UBI image and have found a
combination that moves me on to the next error:

U-Boot> ubi part rootfs
UBI: attaching mtd2 to ubi0
UBI: physical eraseblock size:   131072 bytes (128 KiB)
UBI: logical eraseblock size:    130944 bytes
UBI: smallest flash I/O unit:    1
UBI: VID header offset:          64 (aligned 64)
UBI: data offset:                128
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
- Warning: 1 protected sectors will not be erased!
UBI error: ubi_io_write: error -5 while writing 64 bytes to PEB 0:0, written
0 bytes
UBI error: erase_worker: failed to erase PEB 0, error -5
UBI error: erase_worker: bad physical eraseblock 0 detected
UBI warning: ubi_ro_mode: switch to read-only mode
UBI error: do_work: work failed with error code -5
UBI error: autoresize: cannot auto-resize volume 0
UBI error: ubi_init: cannot attach mtd2
UBI error: ubi_init: UBI error: cannot initialize UBI, error -30
UBI init error 30

Hopefully this may be the last hurdle to overcome but somehow I think maybe
not!

Regards,

Andy.