[U-Boot] Please sync u-boot-arm/master with u-boot/master

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Thu Oct 2 11:58:27 CEST 2014

Hi Masahiro,

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 17:33:48 +0900, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com> wrote:

> Hi Albert,
>

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:35:02 +0200
> Albert ARIBAUD <albert.u.boot at aribaud.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi Masahiro,
> >
> > On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:53:05 +0900, Masahiro Yamada
> > <yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Ping?
> > >
> > > Albert,  u-boot-arm/master is more than ten days old.
> > >
> > > I need to prepare my pull-request based on the
> > > latest commit.
> > >
> > > So, please update your repository.
> >
> > You do not need me to merge u-boot/master in order to send out your
> > pull req; whatever mainline commit you need will be listed
> > automatically (and I will have a choice of either merging u-boot/master
> > before or after I pull your PR).
>

> Please teach me a little bit more.
>

> Assme the HEAD of u-boo-arm/master is
> commit 2a8c9c86b92a9ccee3c27286de317e19bb0530b3
>

> Let's say I want to apply 7 patches
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393819/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393818/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393815/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393875/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393814/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393814/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393813/
>
> and then send a pull request to you.
>

> Those seven patches are not applicable on commit 2a8c9c86b,
> because some prerequisite commits are missing.
>

> So, I need to apply them onto commit be9f643ae6aa9044c60fe80e3a2c10be8371c692
> (= the HEAD of Tom's repo.)

> In this case, how should I generate the pull-req message?
>
> git request-pull be9f643 git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master
>
> Is this OK?
>

> The wiki page (http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/CustodianGitTrees)
> says to do:
>
> git request-pull ${upstream}/master git://git.denx.de/u-boot-${subrepo}.git master
>

> But
>
> git request-pull 2a8c9c86b git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master
>
> will output a list of too much commits.

Never mind those additional commits: they are commits from
u-boot/master which are needed by your branch (or more exactly, which
you have based your branch upon) and which are not (yet) in
u-boot-arm/master.

Think of them as the "common trunk of commits" shared between
u-boot/master and your master branch.

If I apply u-boot/master first, the trunk commits will be pulled in,
and laster, when I apply your branch, the trunk will already be in
place and I4ll only pull your own commits.

OTOH, if I apply your branch first, the trunk commits will be pulled in
just the same; and when later I apply u-boot/master, the trunk commits
will already be in place and I'll only pull that part of u-boot/master
which I don't yet have.

Is this clearer?

> Best Regards
> Masahiro Yamada