[U-Boot] [SoCFPGA] next steps

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Wed Oct 8 12:39:47 CEST 2014

On Wednesday, October 08, 2014 at 10:58:24 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/07/2014 02:45 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > given that we now have most of the u-boot socfpga stuff in mainline, I
> > decided it would be a good idea to list what we're still missing and we
> > should also decide how to move on now.
> >
> > First thing I should probably clarify is the late acceptance of the
> > socfpga patches. This is certainly not something we do regularly and is
> > one of the worst possible practices to do, but this time it felt rather
> > important to get the platform in shape, so this exception happened.
> > Furthermore, all of the code in u-boot-socfpga should be based on
> > u-boot-arm and should be submitted through the u-boot-arm repository,
> > not directly to u-boot .
>
> Platform was in this shape for a while that's why I can't see the reason
> why this happen.
>
> Tom: Does it mean that every platform which is not in good shape can go
> directly to the mainline in any time? It is definitely something which is
> good to know.

I believe this was an exception here. Also, the socfpga patches were posted on
the list for a while (beginning of september) and they were tested on multiple
devices by multiple parties, so there is clearly interest to get the platform
in shape.

The initial patch was posted all the way back as "[RFC] mainline u-boot on
socfpga" on Sept. 3rd 2014, which is in the middle of the release cycle and
which still gave us enough time to clean the patches up still.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut