[U-Boot] [SoCFPGA] next steps

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Wed Oct 8 21:05:26 CEST 2014

On Wednesday, October 08, 2014 at 03:18:10 PM, Dinh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi Marek,

Hi all!

> On 10/7/14, 7:45 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > given that we now have most of the u-boot socfpga stuff in mainline, I
> > decided it would be a good idea to list what we're still missing and we
> > should also decide how to move on now.
>
> Thanks for all of your hard work on this!

I only did what needed to be done and I'm looking forward to you taking over
shortly ;-)

[...]

> >  SPL:  This is something we still miss from mainline. We will need to
> >  discuss
> >
> >        this thoroughly, but one thing is obvious already -- we need to
> >        figure out how to interoperate with Quartus resp. the bsp-editor
> >        generated header files to assemble the SPL properly.
>
> Have you or anyone else already started on this work? If not, then this
> is an area that I can start to work on.

No, noone did and I'd be really happy if you took this one.

> >  USB:  This is scheduled for the next merge window. The DWC2 driver is
> >  cleaned
> >
> >        up and seems to be in rather good state. The USB driver currently
> >        resides in [2]
> >
> >  EPCQ: This is something I prepared and tested real quick. The EPCS/EPCQ
> >  SPI NOR
> >
> >        can be operated via the Altera SPI driver, which is currently
> >        unused at all and thus suffering bitrot. The current cleanup is
> >        here [3]
> >
> >  NET:  Does the SoCDK use EMAC0 or EMAC1 ? I believe we still have this
> >  issue
> >
> >        open, I recall Chin was complaining about this.
>
> The SoCDK is using EMAC1.

I guess we'd need one more quick patch for current mainline then, since this
seems to be broken ever since. I will bake one shortly.

Also, let me add two more goals:
- Migrate to driver model
- Support probing of the whole board from Device Tree Blob

This would make our lives so much easier, so we should aim for this. I don't
know if it is realistic to make this happen for 2015.01, but I would like to
keep this in mind.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut