[U-Boot] Discussion topics / issues

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Thu Oct 9 18:15:14 CEST 2014

On Thursday, October 09, 2014 at 06:11:37 PM, Jagan Teki wrote:

[...]

> >> These are the qspi stuff from freescale, and I didn't understand why
> >> these goes into
> >> u-boot-arm/master. And there is no intimation of mine as well.
> >
> > Did you comment on them at all please ? While I disagree with them
> > bypassing your tree, I see they were rotting on the ML for a month and
> > then Albert then picked those.
>
> This is not a question of commenting - but - about the process.
>
> Yes, I asked the author to test the changes later for a while this got
> pushed. I never thought this could happen so suddenly without any ping or
> something.
>
> I guess some times it happens few of the patches will rotted for a while on
> ML due to some delays, but taking them with/out any ping causes over head
> if the respective owner will look at the code for later modifications.

I agree with you that there is a problem where custodians get bypassed and
that such a thing happened to me as well. This is sporadic, but apparently
annoying enough, so this should be added.

> >> Issue is that the driver itself is not in a proper shape, why does
> >> subsystem patches were
> >> pushed without the the review tag from a respective custodians.
> >
> > I produced a hypothesis above.
> >
> > Can you retroactively comment on them and ask the author to fix the code?
>
> Yes - I asked the author for fixing those for few of the patches
> against that change.

Thanks!

> >> Please try to discuss this point as well "Each subsystem patch(es)
> >> should be pushed
> >> if and only if the respective custodian should marked the review tag"
> >
> > I agree we have an issue here, but I would suggest we move this
> > discussion into a separate thread now. The subject of the email does not
> > match the topic of the thread by far.
>
> Agreed - I mentioned this on this tread only for listing item on
> meeting, that it.

Will you join us as well? (sorry, I lost track of who will and who won't)

Best regards,
Marek Vasut