[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2014.10 released

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Tue Oct 14 10:47:44 CEST 2014

Hey all,

I've pushed v2014.10 out to the repository and tarballs should exist
soon.

First, the big changes.  We're using Kconfig now, not just Kbuild.
There's still a lot of work to do on converting from defines in the
config header files to Kconfig choices, but the first big step is done
and I want to thank Masahiro Yamada again for all the hard work he's put
in (and everyone else that's reviewed and tested and helped out) to get
us this far.

Second, the "tools-only" build target requires a valid config to have
been done now as we have CONFIG_LOCALVERSION support.

Next up, the device model work is coming along nicely, thanks Simon!
We've got serial converted now and enhanced the gpio framework.

One last thing I want to call big attention to.  We're strongly
considering deprecating "MAKEALL" in favor of the buildman tool we've
also had for the last year and a half.  We're at the point now where I
think thus far everyone that's spoken up with a usecase for MAKEALL has
an equivalent want to run buildman (and there's lots of nice things
buildman gives that MAKEALL doesn't).  So please, try it out and report
back problems you see that would prevent you from switching over.

As always, lots of nice little fixes here and there and everywhere.
Since I've had a few requests to include some sort of ChangeLog (other
than what git spits out), here's what I've come up with:

- More clang related warning fixes (and more to come).
- ARM HYP/non-secure fixes and support.
- Lots and lots and lots of updates to many ARM SoC families.  Give your
  favorites a spin!
- More generic board conversions
- fastboot flashing and "sparse" image support.
  NOTE: If any other projects out there need a BSD licensed copy of the
  Android sparse image support, see include/sparse_format.h as this copy
  was relicensed by Google, thanks Google!

And I would encourage custodians to follow-up with anything big I've
overlooked.

Thanks for the hard work everyone!  The merge window will open next
Monday, the 20th and close Saturday November 8th (since there's a lot of
custodians here at ELC-E).

--
Tom