[U-Boot] problem with eMMC boot on arndale board

Anatolij Gustschin agust at denx.de
Fri Oct 17 13:52:29 CEST 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 12:20:44 +0200
Guillaume Gardet <guillaume.gardet at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone has tried eMMC boot on Arndale board?
>
> I copied BL1, SPL and u-boot to eMMC, like I do on SD card but it does not boot at all.
>
> Note that once booted on SD card, I get some errors while accessing eMMC.
>
> "mmc dev 0" returns:
>          dwmci_send_cmd: DATA ERROR!
>          switch to partitions #0, OK
>          mmc0(part 0) is current device
>
> "mmc info" returns:
>          Device: EXYNOS DWMMC
>          Manufacturer ID: 15
>          OEM: 100
>          Name: M4G1F
>          Tran Speed: 52000000
>          Rd Block Len: 512
>          MMC version 4.41
>          High Capacity: Yes
>          Capacity: 3.7 GiB
>          Bus Width: 4-bit
>
> I think it does not boot because of this problem on eMMC.

not necessarily.

> Is there anything I could try to fix it?

I'm not familiar with booting from eMMC on Arndale. But for newer eMMC
(>= JEDEC 4.3) you have to configure a boot partition and enable access to
it in the PARTITION_CONFIG register. The "partconf" subcommand of the mmc
command can be used to do it. See also Table 2 in [1]. Then install the
boot code to the selected boot partition and try again.

[1] http://www.micron.com/-/media/documents/products/technical%20note/nand%20flash/tn2918.pdf

HTH,

Anatolij