[U-Boot] Buildman cookbook

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 29 16:29:33 CET 2014

Dear Simon,

In message <CAPnjgZ0HbeoOkb9A-USBjMXh39qJFdmATf8W7DZb4Qj_jFYWmA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > it would be nice if we could add a buildman cookbok with hints how to
> > get started quickly with the most frequent use cases (or add some
> > quickstart section to the README).
>
> There is a workflow section, setting up and 'how to run it'. At
> present it requires toolchain setup which is I think the main
> obstacle.

Well, it seems you already need to understand a lot of things to get
it working from scratch.

> >   It would be nice if we could list such dependencies.
>
> What version / distribution of Python are you using? We could
> certainly add a list, but for me everything is already installed :-(

This is Python2.7 as comes bundled with the Yocto / ELDK releases.
Yes, I am aware that most (all?) "standard" distros will provide these
moduules, but for the tool chain maker it would be very helpful to
have a list of such required modules / dependencies.

> I think we might be able to have a default. How did you create the
> local branch? I normally use:
>
> git checkout -b my-branch upstream/master
>
> and it does the right thing.

Usually: git checkout -b my-branch master

But many of these branches may have been created weeks or months ago,
so probably using older versions of git, in case this matters.

> Yes I notice that in recent versions. We probably need another round
> of tweaks although I mostly have my hands full for a few weeks.

No problem.  This is not a critical thing, just a wish list.  Xmas is
approaching, you know :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In an organization, each person rises to the level of his own  incom-
petency                                         - The Peter Principle