[U-Boot] MKIMAGE u-boot.imx build error

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Oct 29 18:02:45 CET 2014

Hi Dave,

On 29/10/2014 14:52, DaveKucharczyk wrote:

> I was able to build using V=1 and noticed the entry point,
> CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE, wasn't defined in include/configs/mx53_xxx.h file. We
> previously had it defined in /board/freescale/mx53_xxx/config.mk. Now
> everything builds without error.
>
> But…I do not get serial output. I really need a small victory and see some
> life out of the board.
>
> Here’s what I think is necessary to get serial output to console…
>
> 1.	At minimum the uart setup in /board/freescale/mx53_xxx/mx53_xxx.c
> 2.	Version, boot device and DCD setup in
> /board/freescale/mx53_xxx/imximage.cfg
> 3.	Minor changes to build successfully in /include/configs/mx53_xxx.h

Well, you made a lot of changes. I think you use 2009.08 from Freescale
tree, and there are a lot of differences with mainline tree.

Maybe it is worth if you check your code with the boars already
supported by U-Boot mainline having the i.MX53 SOC (Freescale's
mx53-loco, -ard, and -smd for example).

> I’ve ported flash_header.S to imximage.cfg.
> I’ve moved our old /board/freescale/mx53_xxx/mx53_xxx.c to the new u-boot
> directory, setup the pads using the new nomenclature and modified the
> library includes to use the new ones.
> I’ve moved include/configs/mx53_xxx.h file to the new u-boot directory and
> made the necessary edits to build successfully.
>
> I’ve triple checked the pads and flash header. I dd the resulting,
> non-padded, u-boot.imx image to sd card by “dd if=u-boot.imx of=/dev/sdd
> seek=2 && sync”, but I get no life.

Try to add a #define DEBUG in the code, for example to understand if
something is alive before the relocation.

> I’m stuck at the moment and hoping someone has some advice as to what I may
> be missing or doing wrong.

I am afraid that it is too difficult, because it depends on your custom
hardware. Next step should be to attach a JTAG debugger to see what is
happening.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de