[U-Boot] Need FTP client support in U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 30 13:31:15 CET 2014

Dear Madhu,

In message <8f2265d4f62b409f83f6bdd21953d7cf at SG2PR01MB0394.apcprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com> you wrote:

> Our motivation is to boot the OS over the network using FTP (
> because it is going to be more secure with login/passwd credentials,
> before file-transfer), instead of TFTP. Hence we are exploring the
> option of FTP client in U-Boot..

If you are concerned about security you should NOT use FTP, as FTP
authentication is based on a clear-text protocol, i. e. it will
transmit your password in plain text over the network.  Anyone able
to run a sniffer anywhere on this net will be able to see it.

> If not, we are looking for any "Authenticated" file transfer over
> network in existing U_boot.

This probably makes more sense - especially, as it's already supported
in mainline U-Boot - assuming you have good ways to manage your keys
on your device.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.