[U-Boot] Need help with u-boot problem with usb-keyboard / kvm switch

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Wed Sep 17 21:29:07 CEST 2014

Hi Hans,

On 09/17/2014 12:11 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi Marek, et al,
>
> I'm working on cleaning up Luc's hdmi out support patchset for
> sunxi.
>
> As part of this I want to also add support for usb keyboards,
> so as to get a full console without needing to solder wires
> to testpoints on some boards :)
>
> So when I plug in the usb coming from my kvm I get this:
>
> (Re)start USB...
> USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
> scanning bus 0 for devices... EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x80008c80
> 3 USB Device(s) found
>        scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
>
> And the usb keyboard does not work.
>
> If I plug in a single usb-2 hub (no ohci support for sunxi in u-boot
> yet), then things do work, but after a few minutes of inactivity the
> usb code starts spamming the console with:
>
> EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x80008c80
> EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x80008c80
>
> Could this be a problem with the phy settings (iow a sunxi specific
> problem)?

Probably not.

We've seen the same thing on SABRE Lite and Nitrogen6X boards.

U-Boot > usb start ; setenv stdin serial,usbkbd
(Re)start USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 1 for devices... EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x80008c80
EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x80008c80
EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x80008c80
6 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
       scanning usb for ethernet devices... 0 Ethernet Device(s) found
Timeout poll on interrupt endpoint
Failed to get keyboard state from device 1c4f:0002
U-Boot > usb tree
USB device tree:
  1  Hub (480 Mb/s, 0mA)
  |  u-boot EHCI Host Controller

  +-2  Mass Storage (480 Mb/s, 100mA)
       Generic Mass Storage 4A3709D5

  3  Hub (480 Mb/s, 0mA)
  |  u-boot EHCI Host Controller

  +-4  Hub (480 Mb/s, 2mA)

    +-5  Human Interface (1.5 Mb/s, 100mA)
    |    Logitech USB Optical Mouse

    +-6  Hub (480 Mb/s, 100mA)
    | |   USB 2.0 Hub
    | |
    | +-7  Human Interface (1.5 Mb/s, 98mA)
    |      USB USB Keykoard

    +-8   (12 Mb/s, 100mA)

Oddly, the issue seems to be specific to **some** USB keyboards.

We have some (mostly older) USB keyboards that just work and
have had investigation on our to-do list for quite some
time now.

I was going to start with a question to the list:

	Is anyone else using USB keyboard support?

USB mass storage seems to be pretty reliable. We have
folks using it as an alternate boot for emergency
situations.

Regards,

Eric