[U-Boot] Cannot boot fitImage on RPi

Jens Lucius incnews at jenslucius.de
Wed Sep 17 17:38:28 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am trying to use fitImage instead of uImage on different test-systems,
but ran into some issues and don´t know how to proceed further.

I am building fitImage with an Yocto build system using the patches
provided by Marek Vasut to Yocto.

My first target was the Beaglebone Black, which worked fine, it created
a fitImage, which I booted from sd-card using the values provided in the
docs
(U-Boot 2014.07 TI staging):

ext2load mmc 0:2 82000000 /boot/fitImage
setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait console=ttyO2,115200
bootm 82000000

<booting...>

My second target was a Raspberry Pi, which I tried boot the same way:
(U-Boot 2014.07 denx master)

ext2load mmc 0:2 ${kernel_addr_r} /boot/fitImage
setenv bootargs console=ttyAMA0 kgdboc=ttyAMA0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
rootfstype=ext4 rootwait
bootm ${kernel_addr_r}

<Output:>
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

iminfo ${kernel_addr_r}
## Checking Image at 01000000 ...
Unknown image format!

The strange thing is, if I copy the fitImage from the Raspberry PI to
the Beagleboard SD card and try to read it from the Beagle:

ext2load mmc 0:2 82000000 /boot/fitImage.rpi
iminfo 82000000

## Checking Image at 82000000 ...
FIT image found
FIT description: U-Boot fitImage for Poky (Yocto Project Reference
Distro)/3.16.2+git6159fc07f1bbda28dc967163a49fadb71225f5b3/raspberrypi

I don´t know what I did wrong, the fitImage itself seems to be working.
Do I use the wrong address to load the Image? The commands for the RPi
work if using uImage. I also changed the U-Boot on the RPi from the Denx
to the TI version, also with no luck.

Any ideas?