[U-Boot] U-Boot panasonic repo

Masahiro YAMADA yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Sat Sep 27 17:02:28 CEST 2014

Hi Wolfgang,

> Dear Masahiro,
>
> In message <CAMhH57Rx8VLZ9fL6OXeyJMWwnSKTg36dTERENm0YVQcLPRuqVg at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to push to the newly-created u-boot-uniphier repo
>> but I am in trouble.
>>
>> masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot-uniphier$ git push ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git
>> remote: error: By default, updating the current branch in a non-bare repository
>> remote: error: is denied, because it will make the index and work tree
>> inconsistent
>
> I recommend to always explicitly tell which branch you are trying to
> push where.
>
> For example, if your local branch which you are preparing for a pull
> request is "for-upstream", then your push command would look like
> this:
>
> git push ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier for-upstream:master

I am afraid your recommendation won't solve the problem I am having now.

I can create a new branch on the remote u-boot-uniphier.git
but I cannot update the master branch.

$ git --version
git version 1.9.1
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot-uniphier$ git branch
* master
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot-uniphier$ git describe
v2014.10-rc2-274-gf9860cf
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot-uniphier$ git push
ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master:master
X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: error: refusing to update checked out branch: refs/heads/master
remote: error: By default, updating the current branch in a non-bare repository
remote: error: is denied, because it will make the index and work tree
inconsistent
remote: error: with what you pushed, and will require 'git reset
--hard' to match
remote: error: the work tree to HEAD.
remote: error:
remote: error: You can set 'receive.denyCurrentBranch' configuration variable to
remote: error: 'ignore' or 'warn' in the remote repository to allow pushing into
remote: error: its current branch; however, this is not recommended unless you
remote: error: arranged to update its work tree to match what you pushed in some
remote: error: other way.
remote: error:
remote: error: To squelch this message and still keep the default behaviour, set
remote: error: 'receive.denyCurrentBranch' configuration variable to 'refuse'.
To ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (branch is currently checked out)
error: failed to push some refs to
'ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git'
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot-uniphier$ git checkout -b for-upstream
Switched to a new branch 'for-upstream'
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot-uniphier$ git branch
* for-upstream
  master
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot-uniphier$ git push
ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git for-upstream:master
[...]
 ! [remote rejected] for-upstream -> master (branch is currently checked out)
error: failed to push some refs to
'ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git'
masahiro at oscar:~/workspace/u-boot-uniphier$ git push
ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git
for-upstream:for-upstream
X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
To ssh://gu-uniphier@git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git
 * [new branch]      for-upstream -> for-upstream

The error message is saying that the remote u-boot-uniphier is a
non-bare repository
and the 'master' branch is already checked out (commit
9170818a4e004af7893fa0113f6e5b4afafded55).
That is why I cannot update the master branch, I think.

When I create a repo just for pushing to and fetching from, I use
"--bare" option.

Why not for the u-boot-uniphier.git on git.denx.de ?

Is anyone doing his work on that repo?

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada