[U-Boot] switching to single .config configuration issues

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Wed Apr 29 05:05:52 CEST 2015

+Masahiro (new address)

Hi Hanna,

On 27 April 2015 at 07:43, Hanna Hawa <hannah at marvell.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I’m working on the latest u-boot 2015.04 trying to rebase my repository to
> latest code.

I would suggest going with upstream/master (targeting 2015.07) since
there are several driver model changes since 2015.04 (USB, PCI,
Ethernet). There are still patches going in but the bulk of it should
be there.

> And I have question regarding patch e02ee2548afe (kconfig: switch to single
> .config configuration)
>

> Issues that I face in the current solution (single .config):
>
> For my usage most of the CONFIG options will not supported in the SPL, we
> need the SPL very tiny and most of the CONFIG will be enabled in the u-boot,
> need to undef/disable(set=n) for every CONFIG in scripts/Makefile.uncmd_spl/
> include/config_uncmd_spl.h
>
> Also for future usage if we want to delete the defines of the commands from
> the include file and move it to defconfig file, then need to undef them in
> the SPL code.

Masahiro is the expert here. The idea is to use SPL-specific options
for SPL. For example CONFIG_SPL_I2C_SUPPORT. This is much the same as
before.

I suggest you create some SPL options for your new features, so that
they are only enabled in SPL when you want them.

> Do you planning for another solution for this issue?

Also, if you push your tree to github (or somewhere) I or Masahiro
might be able to comment on specifics.

Regards,
Simon