[U-Boot] Installing u-boot for x86 (non EFI) on a disk

Stoppa, Igor igor.stoppa at intel.com
Tue Aug 11 15:18:37 CEST 2015

Hello,

I have read the documentation coming with u-boot and several other
links that I got from Google, but I am still confused on certain
items.

I'll gladly provide patches for enhancing the documentation, if anyone
can help me
to understand better.

My impression is that the typical way of running u-boot in non-EFI
mode is to create its raw version. Because the alternative is to build
u-boot as coreboot payload, but not many target HW use coreboot.  Is
this correct?

Googling, I found this link [1] from the qemu ml archives, which shows
how to build and start a u-boot rom file in qemu. Which works also for
me.

However I would like to create a loop file, install u-boot in it and
pass that file to qemu as hda, rather than using the rom file.

How do I install u-boot? From what I understood I should put something
in the (disk? / partition?) MBR and copy something else elsewhere.

But I could not figure out what goes where, exactly. Could anybody
please enlighten me?

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-05/msg04835.html
--
tia,