[U-Boot] Installing u-boot for x86 (non EFI) on a disk

Stoppa, Igor igor.stoppa at intel.com
Wed Aug 12 11:54:45 CEST 2015

Hi Bin Meng,
thanks for your reply, please find few comments inlined below.

On 11 August 2015 at 17:09, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Stoppa, Igor <igor.stoppa at intel.com> wrote:

> U-Boot supports running bare-metal as well as being loaded as a
> coreboot payload. For the base-metal case, U-Boot is the actual BIOS
> which boots from the x86 reset vector.

ok, thanks for the explanation.
This case probably will not work for me, as I don't think I am allowed
to reprogram the BIOS of the machine(s) I'm targeting.

[...]

>> However I would like to create a loop file, install u-boot in it and
>> pass that file to qemu as hda, rather than using the rom file.
>>

> Why do you want to do this way? U-Boot does not support this use case so far.

I wrongly had the impression that it was supported.
Thanks again for the clarification.
The reason I wanted to do it, was to get familiar with the U-Boot
build process and see the differences vs the EFI mode.

So, with the constraint that I have to not modify the existing BIOS,
it seems that the only way to put U-Boot on a disk image for x86 is to
use U-Boot as EFI payload.

Is this correct?

--
thanks, igor