[U-Boot] efi: Error building as EFI payload (both 32bit and 64 bit)

Stoppa, Igor igor.stoppa at intel.com
Thu Aug 13 16:52:02 CEST 2015

Hi Bin,

On 13 August 2015 at 15:46, Stoppa, Igor <igor.stoppa at intel.com> wrote:
 for EFI application.

> Thanks a lot. Now it built.

It built, but I didn't get much further :-(

I'm running qemu 2.1.3 on OpenSUSE and it doesn't seem to start in EFI
mode other than with a build of the Open Virtual Machine Firmware that
I found googling [1]. With this I can reach an EFI shell.

I tried both the BIOS that qemu would load by default and the one that
the Testing page of the qemu wiki [2] provides [3] but they get stuck
at some point that doesn't generate any output.

Anyway, with the OVMF, I am able to see the EFI BIOS starting.
I can list the block devices and also see the file containing U-Boot
in payload format (u-boot-payload.efi)
This is how I start qemu:

qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -bios ../bios/OVMF.fd -hda fat:tmp/efi/

It tries to boot from any of the boot devices available, then it fails
and drops me to the Shell.

At which point, following the README.efi, I launch the payload:

FS0:u-boot-payload.efi

I get a message:
U-Boot EFI Payload

which seems to indicate that something is happening, but nothing else.

Almost immediately the screen blanks and I get the usual sequence of
Boot Failed messages that show which boot devices the BIOS tried.

Shouldn't I get the same interactive prompt that I see when using non-EFI mode?

[1] http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/edk2/OVMF/OVMF-X64-r15214.zip
[2] http://wiki.qemu.org/Testing
[3] http://wiki.qemu.org/download/efi-bios.tar.bz2

--