[U-Boot] [v2 2/6] spi: cadence_qspi: remove sram polling from flash read

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Fri Aug 14 03:03:41 CEST 2015

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 02:46:20 AM, vikas wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

[...]

> >> Watermark is for sram level and might not work as well.
> >> In general also for such soc/platform issues for any driver, any idea
> >> how to apply fixes.
> >
> > That's a good question . Is there any way on the ST chip to avoid such
> > direct blocking read which can stall the CPU core indefinitelly? Can you
> > check with the chip designers ?
>
> I already checked & it does not exist in the hardware. Solution to that are
> timeout interrupts in indirect mode or use only direct mode. In case of
> direct mode, the u-boot driver can't be used.

Why can't you use direct mode ? Wouldn't that solve your problem (with some
performance penalty probably) ?

> But again, can we add some fix for stv0991 arch to avoid sram level.
> Without that we will not be able to use the driver at all for stv0991.
>
> In general, again it seems not a unique problem. Any idea how to apply
> fixes for such peripheral design bugs.

What do you mean it's not unique please ?

One option would be to pull out the SRAM level check into a separate function
and in that function check whether the controller is the one on ST chip (via
compatible string) and if it is, return fake "full" SRAM level. You'd then
fall back to the blocking read. I don't like the idea , but if there is no
other way ...

Best regards,
Marek Vasut