[U-Boot] [RFC] Merge all ns16550 dm serial drivers into one

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri Aug 14 18:50:40 CEST 2015

Hi Bin,

On 14 August 2015 at 03:18, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently there are 5 dm serial drivers, all of which are ns16550
> compatible drivers. They are:
>
>   serial_omap.c
>   serial_dw.c
>   serial_tegra.c
>   serial_x86.c
>   serial_ppc.c
>
> All these drivers are pretty much similar. I think we can justmerge
> these into one ns16550 driver.
>
> If you think this is necessary, I will send a patch series to do this.

The tegra one is there because it needs an input clock and Stephen
didn't want to add this to the device tree binding (the kernel has a
clock framework which gets around this problem).

After that I followed the same pattern. I would support updating the
binding to support an input clock. Even with the new clock framework
in U-Boot it might be painful to fit it into SPL in some cases.

Regards,
Simon