[U-Boot] [RFC] Merge all ns16550 dm serial drivers into one

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Sat Aug 15 06:05:16 CEST 2015

On 08/14/2015 09:12 PM, Bin Meng wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
>> On 08/14/2015 05:18 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I'm not a big fan of weak functions either. In fact I think with
>>> driver model we should avoid them. If we can't call a uclass to get
>>> the info then perhaps we should wait until we can.
>>>
>>> Pragmatically I wonder if a UART clock frequency would not be a useful
>>> compromise? Some bindings have it, some do not. Maybe we should just
>>> add it?
>>
>> There's no need for it; the binding already has a clocks property, from
>> which the data can be derived. Adding a clock-frequency property would
>> just result in two sources of the same data. In all likelihood, all
>> that'd happen is that the two would get out-of-sync, and code wouldn't
>> know which to trust.
>>

> I agree. So what's our next step? So far I still think using _weak is
> the easiest approach. Adding clock uclass for fixed clock-frequency
> chipset like x86 super i/o and PCI UART does not make sense. The clock
> uclass is only helpful when dealing with dynamic clock frequency
> platforms on PPC and ARM SoC.

I think having the core UART driver call a function to get the clock
rate is perfectly fine. Just don't provide a _weak version of the
function. This will require all users of the generic UART driver to make
an explicit choice about how to implement this "callback" or "hook",
which makes it most likely that it'll be correctly implemented on all
platforms for all UARTs.

Platforms (or DT compatible value handlers, or ACPI whatever handlers,
or ...) could either pass this function into the generic UART driver
during instantiation/initialization, or put a function pointer into some
configuration structure that's passed to the generic UART driver during
instantiation/initialization, or something like that. The function
shouldn't be a global symbol. There can be only one implementation of a
global symbol. We need to support many implementations within the same
U-Boot binary. Consider a board containing both an ARM SoC with some
on-SoC UARTs where the clock rate is dynamically controlled by some
on-chip clock module, and also containing a PCI port into which a PCI
UART card is plugged, which requires a hard-coded clock rate (perhaps
globally fixed for all PCI UARTs, or based on a lookup table from PCI
vendor/device ID).