[U-Boot] Question on fitupd

Brian_Brelsford at Dell.com Brian_Brelsford at Dell.com
Wed Aug 19 23:07:29 CEST 2015

Dell Customer Communication

PURPOSE:
This email is with respect to the  "fitupd" command.
In looking at the source in the current u-boot tree,  fitupd supports a NOR flash only.

OUR GOAL:
We would like to expand fitupd to be able to flash a SPI NOR,  and  MMC block devices.
This would require support for,   file writes (ex. ext4write),  raw block writes (ex.   mmc write),  etc.
Our design also supports a master boot record with two bootable partitions.

QUESTIONS:
Is expanding fitupd support for block devices a desirable feature to contribute back?
Is this something that the u-boot projects would want?

Would you want this in the  ../common   path for everyone to have access to?
Or,  prefer that this support be added to    ../board/<mystuff>/    for our unique support only?

I am leaving out all the details for now,    we are first trying to understand the general direction we should go.

Thank you for any advice in this area.
Brian Brelsford