[U-Boot] Question on fitupd

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at samsung.com
Mon Aug 24 09:48:41 CEST 2015

Hi Simon, Brian,

> +Jagan, Lukasz
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> On 19 August 2015 at 15:07,  <Brian_Brelsford at dell.com> wrote:
> > Dell Customer Communication
> >

> > PURPOSE:
> >
> > This email is with respect to the  “fitupd” command.
> >
> > In looking at the source in the current u-boot tree,  fitupd
> > supports a NOR flash only.
> >

> > OUR GOAL:
> >
> > We would like to expand fitupd to be able to flash a SPI NOR,  and
> > MMC block devices.

I've already prepared some patches (which will be accepted shortly) to
extend update_tftp() function, which is used directly by fitupd command.

Please refer to the following patch series if they suit your needs:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/231775/focus=231772

In short - support for eMMC and other DFU supported mediums have been
provided.

> > This would require support for,   file writes (ex. ext4write),  raw
> > block writes (ex.   mmc write),  etc.
> >
> > Our design also supports a master boot record with two bootable
> > partitions.
> >

> > QUESTIONS:
> >
> > Is expanding fitupd support for block devices a desirable feature to
> > contribute back?
> >
> > Is this something that the u-boot projects would want?
> >

> > Would you want this in the  ../common   path for everyone to have
> > access to?
> >
> > Or,  prefer that this support be added to    ../board/<mystuff>/
> > for our unique support only?
> >

> > I am leaving out all the details for now,    we are first trying to
> > understand the general direction we should go.
> >

> > Thank you for any advice in this area.
> >
> > Brian Brelsford
>
> This sounds useful to me. I added a few people on CC you may have
> more thoughts.
>
> It would be good if this could somehow use driver model, but it would
> need some thought.
>
> Regards,
> Simon

Lukasz Majewski

Samsung R&D Institute Poland (SRPOL) | Linux Platform Group