[U-Boot] mmc erase fails from U-Boot command line

Eric Nelson eric at nelint.com
Wed Dec 2 19:47:47 CET 2015

Hi Fabio,

On 12/02/2015 10:23 AM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Eric Nelson <eric at nelint.com> wrote:
>
>> I've also recently seen this on two different custom boards. Both are
>> running i.MX6Q TO1.2 and both are using eMMC from Micron.
>
> One colleague of mine tested eMMC erasure on a mx6qsabresd revC5 board
> with a eMMC from Micron and it worked fine.
>
> So far I see:
>
> revB and revC5: works
> revC2 and revC4: don't work

We're seeing this pretty intermittently and only with certain
devices from the same batch, so I'm not sure I'd conclude that the
problem won't happen on revB or revC5.

>> The code which is generating the error message:
>>
>>         http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=drivers/mmc/fsl_esdhc.c;h=c5054d66bdcda029f0485958c87bd5154ccee591;hb=HEAD#l390
>>
>> Seems to refer to an errata for the i.MX35 (ENGcm03648):
>>         http://cache.freescale.com/files/dsp/doc/errata/IMX35CE.pdf
>>
>> I don't see any reference to the errata in the i.MX6 docs.
>
> This piece of code came from:
> 7a5b80297bc6cef ("mmc: fsl_esdhc: Poll until card is not busy anymore")
>
> Yes, ENGcm03648 is not listed in mx6 errata document.
>
>> Ignoring the error (removing the return statement) seems to leave things
>> in a workable state, so I suspect the problem isn't with an insufficient
>> timeout.
>
> May I see your change, please?

Sure. It's a hack, but shows where we're hitting the problem
(with the stop command).

We haven't been using the "mmc erase" command, but see this when
using ums to program eMMC.

Regards,

Eric