[U-Boot] 0001-Adding-Support-for-BAV335x-boards.patch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 3 06:22:34 CET 2015

Dear Gilles,

In message <2E38A6A5-F189-4769-B358-F2EC13D5EE2C at gigadevices.com> you wrote:

> Huh.. my bad, I actually had my tabs set to 4 on the screen.
>
> Can you at least consider allowing me to use spaces to indent that
> header file? Placing the entire u-boot environment variables in one
> string without any indentation of sorts would make that code highly
> un-readable. And with indents or 8, impossible to fit. But the moment I
> use space tabs, the tool also complains "please don't use spaces".... I
> feel sort-of out of options here other than going for a flat un-readable
> environment variables.

You are probably not the first person to run into such issues. So
before asking for exceptions from the rules, you should look around
how other developers have solved the problems you are facing.

Why don't you simply split the strings into two or more parts?  This
will actually make the environment _better_ readable.  For an example,
have a look at [1] or other existing config files.

[1] http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=include/configs/m53evk.h#l290

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
That was the thing about deserts. They had their  own  gravity.  They
sucked you into the centre.           - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_