[U-Boot] AM335x ChiliSOM support

Rostislav Lisovy lisovy at jablotron.cz
Wed Feb 4 16:11:22 CET 2015

Hello;
I just started working with the ChiliSOM module [1] -- in my particular
case it is part of the Chiliboard [2].
The ChiliSOM is a nice little module based on the TI AM335x ARM SoC. I
already started porting the mainline U-boot for it. The DRAM and serial
console seem to work so far. I hope the rest (Ethernet, USB) won't be
that painful.

When implementing the support for this SOM I copy-pasted a lot of code
(almost all of it) from the ti/am335x/board.c. I had to copy the linker
script and include/configs/am335x_evm.h (which has reference to the
particular linkerscript) as well. Not only I know this is very wrong, I
do not like it.

One possibility would be to modify the ti/am335x/board.c to be able to
work with this SOM, although the code reading the board identification
(from serial EEPROM) at the beginning of many functions seem to be an
issue. Not very elegant solution would be to #ifndef them for all the
other boards with the exception of the ChiliSOM.
Another possibility would be to have an extra board.c, however the
include/configs/am335x_evm.h will be used as a configuration file with
the CONFIG_SYS_LDSCRIPT somehow (how?) pointing to some generic am335x
linker script.

Is there an interest in ChiliSOM U-boot support?
What is the most elegant way resulting in the least code duplication?
I will appreciate your help.

Best regards;
Rostislav Lisovy

[1] http://www.grinn.pl/en/som